How can you recycle used hearing aids? The answer is always the same whether you decide to update to a more advanced model like cochlear implants or you got them from a deceased family member: donate your pre-owned hearing aids instead of throwing them away.
There are several organizations that collect and circulate used hearing aids to people who could really use them, and there are lots of people who need them. Keep reading to learn how and why to donate used hearing aids.
Why You Should Consider Donating Your Pre-Owned Hearing Aids
First, here are a few significant statistics about hearing loss and hearing aids in the US:
- About 14% of the overall population, suffers from hearing loss
- 91% of adults suffering from loss of hearing are over the age of 50
- There is evidence of loss of hearing in 15% of school aged children
- Almost 29 million adults with hearing loss can benefit from hearing aids, but…
- …hearing aids are actually used by only 16% (4.6 million) of them
- First time hearing aid users have an average age of 70, but again…
- Less than 30% of those over 70 who need hearing aids have ever used them
I think we should be worried. Because neglected hearing loss has been associated with multiple health issues from an increased risk of falling to mental decline and depression. The importance of your hearing to your general health is supported by new research coming out regularly. Getting hearing aids can prevent these health problems (and in some instances even reverse them).
And the last compelling fact is that loss of hearing can cost the typical family $12,000 in income every single year. But that cost can actually be decreased by up to 50% with hearing aids.
It may not be feasible for families who lose $12,000 a year to afford to buy hearing aids.
Your old hearing aid can have a huge impact, in the health, quality of life and financial stability, for a person in need who could not otherwise afford a hearing aid. It could also help a child in school that has difficulty hearing, which could impact their ability to enter into higher education and make a livable wage when they get older.
How to Donate Your Used Hearing Aid
Old hearing aids are recycled and dispensed by lots of manufacturers and volunteer groups. Stop by and we can help you find a recycling strategy. Or give us a call.